All of the programs made for Microsoft Windows are EXE files. EXE files or executable files allow you to run a program on your computer. But sometimes the user might get an error while running programs in Windows 10. There are multiple possible errors that the user can face in Windows 10 while launching an application. And today we are here to talk about such an error found in Windows 10 called Bad Image Error. We will be learning more about this error in this article as well as the possible ways that you can use to successfully get rid of this error from Windows 10.
What is Bad Image Error in Windows 10?
The Bad Image Error is one of the many errors that the user might face while launching an application. If you’re getting this error on your computer, you will not be able to access that application or program. And whenever this error comes on your screen, it also displays a message saying that “Application.exe is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error”. According to this message, the error is caused when you are using unsupported programs in Windows 10. But as you will see now, this might not be the case in your Windows 10 PC.
How to Fix Bad Image Error in Windows 10?
Before jumping into the possible fixes and solutions for this issue in Windows 10, let’s take a look at its possible causes. By understanding the reasons behind this error, fixing the error is much easier. Most of the Windows 10 users who are facing this issue have reported that it is caused due to either corrupted application data files or system files in Windows 10. Therefore if you can fix both of these things, it will most probably fix the Bag Image Error on your computer. So, if you’re not an application in Windows 10 due to this error, then make sure to go through all of the following solutions:
System File Check via Command Prompt
The Bad Image error occurs usually due to corrupted system files of Windows 10 in your computer. Therefore, making sure that all of the system files are intact can help in fixing this issue. But instead of manually going through all of the system files in your computer, you can use Windows 10’s built-in feature for scanning system files. This is made possible by using a set of commands in the Command Prompt which essentially scan for corrupted system files in your computer and fix them. You can enter the required commands in Command Prompt one by one as shown in these steps:
- Press the Windows Key on your keyboard and in here search for Command Prompt. After that open Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Once you are inside Command Prompt, type CHKDSK C:/F /R and press enter on your keyboard to run this command.
- Similarly, run the SFC /scannow command using Command Prompt after the previous one.
- After you’ve successfully run these commands, reboot your computer which should fix the bad image error while launching certain applications.
Reinstall the Faulty Program via Control Panel
If you’re facing the bad image error with only a few of the programs installed on your computer, chances are the problem is in their data files. In such a case you can uninstall these applications, install them again and finish the initial setup to fix the issue. For this process, you can use the Control Panel of your computer which allows you to uninstall any program installed on your Windows 10 PC. This process essentially fixes all of the issues with a program as shown in these instructions:
- First press the Windows Key and R on your keyboard to launch Windows Run. In here type control and press enter which will open the Control Panel in Windows 10.
- Once you’re inside the Control Panel, go to the Programs menu. After that click on Programs and Features which will open a list of all the programs installed in your PC.
- After that, simply right-click on the program in which you are facing the bag image error and select Uninstall.
- Now proceed with the on-screen instruction to successfully uninstall it from your Windows 10 computer.
- At last, use the Microsoft Windows Store or the application’s website to download and reinstall that program on your PC.
Run Automatic Repair in Windows 10 using a Bootable Flash Drive
Window 10 allows the user to repair the system files present in a PC using a bootable flash drive. Since a bootable flash drive essentially contains the installation file for Windows 10, these files can also be used for repairing the currently installed in Windows 10. Therefore if you’re experiencing the bag image error on your computer, running Automatic Repair can fix this issue. So, for using this method, first create a bootable flash drive of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool by Microsoft. Once you’ve done that, you can follow this step by step guide to run Automatic Repair and fix the bad image error:
- First, power off your computer and insert the bootable flash drive in the USB port of your motherboard.
- After that turn on your PC, and select the flash drive as the current bootable drive.
- Once the Windows 10 files have been loaded, click on the Repair your computer in the bottom left part of your screen.
- Now select Troubleshoot and open the Advanced Options and select Automatic Repair option in here.
- Finally, follow the on-screen instructions to run the Automatic Repair process on your PC which will fix any issues with Windows 10. Once done, simply restart your PC and launch the application which should run without any issues.
We hope that you’ve successfully fixed the Bad Image Error in your Windows 10 PC while launching applications. We are pretty sure that at least one of the fixed mentioned above has worked for you and you’re not facing the Bad Image Error on your computer. In case you liked this article, then make sure to share it on social media. If you have any doubts regarding any of the solutions, feel free to ask any queries in the comments section below.