There are a lot of complex steps that takes place whenever you turn your computer in order to boot Windows 10. All these steps or parts of the booting process are equally important. If due to some reason one of these processes fail, you will not be able to successfully load Windows 10 and use your computer. And today we are here to talk about one such error called BOOTMGR is Missing in Windows 10 due to which the users are not able to use their PCs. We will be taking an in-depth look at this error as well as the possible reasons behind this error. Not only that but you will also find the respective fixes for this issue so that you can get rid of the BOOTMGR is missing in Windows 10 error from your PC.
What is BOOTMGR is Missing Error in Windows 10?
Windows BOOTMGR, or Windows Boot Manager, is a very important software which is found in Windows 10. It is responsible for reading the boot configuration data stored in the hard drive of your computer. This boot configuration data is then used by the BIOS to successfully boot Windows 10 so that you can start using your PC. It also helps in displaying the Windows system selection menu which is used when you have more than one operating systems installed apart from Windows 10. Because of these reasons, BOOTMGR plays a very important role in booting Windows 10.
How to Fix BOOTMGR is Missing in Windows 10?
If you’re facing this issue in your Windows 10 PC due to BOOTMGR is missing, then you must not be able to use your PC. This can error can be caused in Windows 10 due to several reasons like boot sector corruption, improper Windows 10 installation, or even missing system files. So to successfully fix the BOOTMGR is Missing error in Windows 10 and start using your PC again, make sure to go through all of the given solutions one by one:
1: Make a Bootable Windows 10 Flash Drive
As this error is related to booting Windows 10, there is a high chance that you are facing the error in your computer due to corrupted system files or related problems. Due to this, most of the possible fixes for the BOOTMGR is missing error require the user to have a bootable Windows 10 flash drive. While such a flash drive is used to install Windows 10 on a computer, it can also be used for repairing your PC. Therefore before proceeding further in this article, make sure to first create a bootable Windows 10 flash drive by using the Media Creation Tool by Microsoft or similar tools.
2: Fix Windows 10 Issues via Startup Repair
With the help of a bootable Windows 10 flash drive, the user has the option to run a Startup Repair in Windows 10. And as the name tells, this process simply fixes any startup related problems on your PC. Windows 10 is able to this by using the installation stored in the bootable flash drive. So if you are also facing this error on your computer, simply use the flash drive to run Startup Repair by following this step by step guide:
- Make sure that your computer is turned off and then connect the bootable flash drive. After that turn on your PC and using the boot menu or the BIOS, select the flash drive as your current boot device.
- After the flash drive files have been loaded, you will find yourself on the Windows 10 installation page. Here select the Repair your computer option in the bottom left part of your screen.
- Now, go to the Troubleshoot menu and select Advanced options. Inside the Advanced options, you have to select Automatic Repair.
- Once you’ve selected this option and proceed with the onscreen instructions, Windows 10 will successfully run the Startup Repair fixing all of the system files that are causing an issue related to booting.
3: Use BOOTREC.EXE to fix Booting Issues in Windows 10
Windows 10 has a very useful tool called bootrec.exe built in by default. The bootrec.exe or boot recovery exe tool is a software which is used to troubleshoot and fix any boot related issues with Windows 10. This means that if you are having the BOOTMGR is Missing error in Windows 10, then you can use BOOTREC.EXE commands in the Windows Command Prompt. You can access command prompt in your PC without booting Windows 10 via a bootable flash drive as shown down below:
- First turn off your computer, and turn it back on after plugging in the bootable flash drive for Windows 10.
- Now, using the BIOS, select the flash drive as your default boot device so that you can enter the Windows 10 installation page.
- In here, select the Repair your computer option from the bottom left portion of your computer’s screen.
- After head over to Troubleshoot and open Advanced Options from these options.
- Once you’re in Advanced options, open Command Prompt and type bootrec /rebuildbcd and press enter on your keyboard.
- This command will rebuild the Boot Configuration Data in Windows 10 which helps in fixing the BOOTMGR is missing error.
- After entering this command, type bootrec /fixboot followed by an enter. This command simply fixes the boot sector in your hard drive which further helps in getting rid of the BOOTMGR is missing error in Windows 10.
- Once you’ve entered both of these commands, simply restart your computer and boot again after which you should not face the BOOTMGR related error in Windows 10.
4: Remove all Non-Bootable Drives from your PC
One of the easiest solutions for possibly fixing the BOOTMGR missing error is to remove all of the non-bootable drives from your computer. In other words, you have to disconnect all of the storage devices connected to your device apart from your Windows drive. This includes this like flash drives, CDs, DVDs, extra hard drives, etc. Such drives can cause an issue while booting Windows 10 in your PC as your computer might try to boot from these drives and since they do not contain any operating system, you will end up facing the BOOTMGR is missing error in Windows 10. If this solution fixes the error in your PC, simply change the boot order next time you reconnect all of the drives which are connected to your PC.
We hope that you’ve successfully fixed the BOOTMGR is Missing error in your Windows 10 PC. We are pretty sure that at least one of the fixed mentioned above has worked for you and you’re not facing the BOOTMGR is Missing error on your computer. In case you liked this article, then make sure to share it on social media. If you have any doubts regarding any of the solutions, feel free to ask any queries in the comments section below.
You may also like-