The mouse scroll wheel of your mouse is highly useful for quickly navigating through Windows 10. Almost all the programs and applications use the scroll wheel in one way or other. And if you spend a lot of your time browsing the internet or working in excel sheets in Windows 10, then the mouse scroll is highly important for you. Apart from that if you play games, then you must know that the scroll wheel is used in those as well. Unfortunately, many Windows 10 users have reported an issue where the mouse scroll does not work in their Windows 10 PC. Therefore, today we are here to guide you on how to fix mouse scroll not working on Windows 10.
Causes of Mouse Scroll not Working on Windows 10
Even though Windows 10 has inbuilt support for mouse scroll wheels, it might not work for some reason. There can be multiple possible reasons behind this issue including both software based as well as hardware based causes. Most of the users who are experiencing an issue with the scroll wheel in Windows 10 have noticed that this issue is caused due to things like outdated or corrupted mouse drivers, issues with the HID service, and even issues with the mouse scroll wheel itself.
How to Fix Mouse Scroll not Working on Windows 10
Since the scroll wheel of your mouse is quite important for navigating around in Windows 10 and its programs, fixing it is quite important. As discussed earlier, there are multiple possible reasons due to which you might face this error. Therefore, you will find multiple possible solutions for the mouse scroll not working on windows 10 error. And if the mouse scroll is not working in any of the programs in Windows 10, make sure to go through all of the solutions one by one to successfully fix the problem:
Solution #1: Start HID Service using Windows Services Utility
All of the functions and operations found in Windows 10 most probably have a background service which is required for proper function. Similarly, the mouse and the mouse scroll wheel requires a service called HID service to be running in the background. HID stands for Human Interface Device which basically handles all of the peripherals connected to your PC including your mouse. This means that if the HID service is not running in the background, the mouse scroll might not work in Windows 10. To overcome this issue, you can use the Windows Services utility to start the HID service manually by following the given instructions:
- First Windows Run in Windows 10 by pressing Windows Key + R on your keyboard.
- In here, type services.msc to open the Windows Services Utility.
- Now, look for Human Interface Device Service and double-click on it to open its Properties.
- Inside here, click on Start from the General tab which will launch the HID service in the background. After this, you should not have any issues with the mouse scroll in Windows 10.
Solution #2: Mouse Scroll Wheel Settings via Control Panel
The control panel in Windows 10 can be used to change the settings of almost everything in your computer. It also includes the options and settings of both your mouse and its scroll wheel. This means that if the mouse scroll wheel is not working due to improper settings, changing these settings via the Control Panel can fix it. If you are also experiencing issues with the mouse scroll wheel then make sure to change its settings using the Control Panel in Windows 10 as shown here:
- Open Control Panel in Windows 10 using the Windows Search.
- In here, go to Hardware and Sound and click on Mouse to open mouse settings.
- After that, go to the wheel tab and select The following number of lines at a time option under Vertical Scrolling.
- Now change its value to 5 and click on OK to save your settings.
- Doing so will make sure that the programs which don’t support the “One screen at a time” option are able to use the mouse scroll wheel properly.
Solution #3: Make sure that Mouse Drivers are Up to Date
In Windows 10, all of the mouse-related functions including the mouse scroll wheel. It is responsible for correctly sending data from the mouse to your PC. And if the driver installed in your computer is outdated or corrupted, you might face errors. This means that if the mouse scroll wheel is not working in Windows 10, it might due to be the drivers. Thankfully, Windows 10 allows the user to easily update the drivers for a mouse using device manager. And if you want to update the drivers in Windows 10 to fix the mouse scroll issues, you can use this step by step guide:
- First, press Windows Key + X on your keyboard and select Device Manager from this list.
- In here, expand Mice and other pointing devices and find your mouse.
- Now right-click on it and select Update Driver which will open a new window.
- After that, select Search automatically for updated driver software after which Windows 10 will automatically search and download the latest driver for the mouse which will fix the mouse scroll issue.
Solution #4: Mouse Scroll Wheel Issue due to Hardware Failure
If none of the above-mentioned solutions have worked for you, the issue might be caused to hardware failures. You can check the scroll wheel of your mouse by connecting to a different PC and check whether it works or not. If it is not working then it is a hardware failure. Now you can either try cleaning dust out of the scroll wheel or availing the warranty on your mouse to get it replaced with a working one.
We hope that you’ve successfully fixed the mouse scroll not working error in your Windows 10 PC. We are pretty sure that at least one of the fixed mentioned above has worked for you and you’re not facing the mouse scroll not working issue on your computer. In case you liked this article, then make sure to share it on social media. If you have any doubts regarding any of the solutions, feel free to ask any queries in the comments section below.