If you have ever been on a video call and sounded like you were in a cave, or you are trying to get into podcasting or music-making or some other activity that requires a reliable microphone, you have probably wondered where is the microphone on a MacBook Pro? This guide will show you where to find the built-in microphone on your MacBook Pro, so stay tuned with us until the end.
A Machbook Pro has got everything you want in one place so that you don’t have to go running around looking for this or that. All the things you need are right there at your fingertips, and the microphone is no exception, either.
Your MacBook Pro comes with an integrated microphone, which might seem like a small thing, but it makes a big difference. Unlike a standalone microphone, you may not be able to find the built-in mic on your MacBook Pro immediately. It is very tiny in size and well hidden.
- The Wizard Could Not Start Microphone Windows 10
- Dolby Digital Plus Software Free Download For Windows 10
So, where do we find it? Let’s dive right in.
Where is the Microphone on a MacBook Pro?
If you are a new Mac Pro user or are just getting used to the latest model, you might have a hard time finding the microphone on your MacBook Pro. But don’t worry. We are going to walk you through how to find it.
At first glance, it may look like the microphone is located at the top of your MacBook Pro screen adjacent to the webcam in order to capture both video and audio at the same time in situations like using FaceTime, but that’s not right.
The location of the microphone on MacBook Pro computers can change depending on your model and the year it was made.
Most people do not realize that there are actually three microphones built into the newest MacBook Pro models launched in 2018 and later. You will find them on the top-left side of your keyboard and the speaker grill area at the base of your system. It is hard to see these three mics unless you can get your hands on a diagram of the specific model to help you out!
The microphones on the majority of the MacBook Pro 15″ models are located underneath the right speaker grid. The exact location may vary, and your model may have one or two microphones depending on when it was built.
For those of you using a MacBook Pro 13″ from 2017 or earlier, that model does not come with a speaker grill, and the entire computer is more compact, which makes it even trickier to find your microphone. The microphone has been moved to a different place – it is located above the escape key towards the very bottom left corner of your keyboard. It is extremely small and looks like a group of tiny black holes right above where you would normally see vents for cooling purposes.
How to find the Microphone Settings and make necessary adjustments on a MacBook Pro
We have all been there – sitting in an important meeting, and the other party can’t hear you. It does not look good, but what should you do?
The first and most important thing is to check your Microphone settings on a Mac. Don’t worry; it is not as hard as it sounds.
- Navigate to your System Preferences. You can find this by clicking the Apple icon in your MacBook screen’s top-left corner.
- In System Preferences, click Security and Privacy. This will open the Privacy tab.
- From there, select the microphone within the list of options that appeared on the left-hand side.
- Now, in the right-hand pane, you will see a list of all apps that have permission to use your microphone. Check the box next to any app you would like to give permission to or uncheck one if you have already given it permission but want to revoke it.
So this is how you allow or deny a particular application to use the microphone of your MacBook Pro.
Please note that any app that relies on your mic for any of its essential functions will keep asking for permission as long as it is not selected here.
How to make sure if the microphone of your MacBook Pro is working or not?
You know you are about to start a conference call, and your mic is not working – it’s a nightmare, right?
So, you are scrambling to get yourself ready for the call, and you have to figure out what is going on. No worries, though, since it’s easy to use the QuickTime Player on your MacBook Pro to check if there is any problem with your microphone. Here’s what to do.
- Go to QuickTime Player on your Mac (you can find it in Launchpad).
- Click the “File” option from the menu bar and then “New Audio Recording.” A new window will appear on the screen where you can adjust the input volume.
- Now, click on the prominently red-colored record button and start speaking in front of the microphone for about a minute. It doesn’t have to be very long; just enough time for you to check if everything sounds good.
- Playback the recording and see if it sounds clear. You shouldn’t hear any distortions or muffled spots. If you experience such, increase the input volume until they are gone!
If you have permission to access your microphone, you should be able to hear whatever you recorded clearly through your headphones or built-in speakers, even if you have turned up the input volume all the way. Or, in case you don’t hear your voice perfectly, then your microphone is not working as it should be, and there may be an issue with either your hardware or software.
You can try looking for driver recovery options or troubleshooting the mic using Apple’s support website (which has a lot of handy articles that may help). If all else fails, go down to your local Apple Store and see if they can help with a Genius Bar appointment.
If you can not find your MacBook Pro microphone or somehow it is not working, and you can not seem to figure out the issue, we have detailed its location and also tried to cover most of the possibilities for why it is not working. However, in case you are still facing any problem, you may need to get in touch with Apple Customer Support or an IT specialist so that they can look into the matter.
You may like: