There are a lot of options and features when it comes to networking in Microsoft Windows 10. Due to this, the user has a lot of flexibility when using a network in Windows. Not only can you access a wired network, but also use a Wi-Fi connection. And for all of the networks available on your PC, you can tweak and change a lot of their properties. Because of this, the networking in Windows 10 is great for both casual as well as advanced users. But when connected to a network, you might face an error saying the Default Gateway is not Available. And if you’re facing this error, you won’t be able to access the internet.
What is “The Default Gateway is not Available” error?
“The Default Gateway is not Available” is an error found in Windows 10 that comes when you are not able to access the internet. It is usually experienced when you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network and a yellow exclamation mark appears over the Wi-Fi icon in your taskbar. This is usually caused due to issues with the network adapter of your computer. Not only that but if the network drivers in Windows 10 get corrupted or outdated, the user might face issues with the default gateway. Since this error breaks the internet connection in Windows 10, fixing it is quite important. And so, we have added all of the possible solutions for this error in this article. You have to simply go through all of them one by one in order to get rid of “The Default Gateway is not Available” error from Windows 10:
Update Network Adapter Drivers in Windows 10
The network adapter or the network adapter has its own drivers in Windows 10. Both the Wi-Fi antenna and the ethernet port of your computer have their respective drivers. All of the communication between the hardware and the software of your computer takes place via these drivers. Therefore, if these drivers are corrupted or outdated, you might face issues. Similarly, “The Default Gateway is not Available” can also be caused due to the drivers in Windows 10. To fix such an issue, you can simply update the network adapter drivers in Windows 10 via the device manager as shown here:
- First press Windows Key + R on your keyboard to open Windows Run. In here, type devmgmt.msc which will open the Device Manager in Windows 10.
- After that, expand the Network adapters in your computer and locate the default network adapter of your Windows 10 PC.
- Now, right-click on it and select Update Driver which will open a new window.
- From the newly opened select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- After this, Windows 10 will automatically search for the latest network adapter drivers available and install them. This will fix “The Default Gateway is not available” error in your Windows 10 computer.
Disable Power Management Settings for Network Devices
To save power in mobile devices like laptops, Windows 10 comes with some power management. These options can basically disable the devices in your PC when not being used. Similarly, the network devices or the network adapters in your Windows 10 PC also have power management options. But sometimes if these options are enabled, it may cause issues with your network connection as the network adapter won’t work properly. In this case, you can go to the Control Panel and disable the power management settings by following these instructions:
- Using Windows Search, open Control Panel on your Windows 10 PC.
- In here go to Hardware and Sound and open Device Manager as shown.
- Once you are inside the Device Manager, expand the Network Adapters and select the default network device of your PC.
- Now, right-click on it and open its Properties from here.
- After that, go to the Power Management tab in its properties.
- Finally, unselect the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option in here and click on OK to save your settings.
- After changing these settings, go back to the Hardware and Sound settings and go to Power Options.
- In here, click on Change plan settings under the current power profile in Windows 10.
- Now, click on Change the advanced power settings which will open a new window.
- Using this newly opened window, expand Wireless Adapter Settings and expand Power Saving Mode inside.
- At last, change the values next to On battery and Plugged in to Maximum Performance and click on OK to save your settings.
- After that, reboot your computer which will fix “The Default Gateway is not Available” error in Windows 10.
Reset your IP Address via Command Prompt
Every time your computer gets connected to a network, it is assigned a unique IP address. This IP address is highly important for uniquely identifying your device as well as for accessing the internet using that network. By default, Windows 10 obtains an IP address in a network automatically using DHCP. But if due to some reason this IP address gets corrupted, you might face “The Default Gateway is not Available” error on your Windows 10 PC. In such a case you can use the Windows Command Prompt to reset the IP address of your PC as shown in the given steps:
- Press the Windows Key and X on your keyboard at the same time and click on Command Prompt (Admin) in the list.
- Now, inside the Command Prompt, type netsh int ip reset and press enter.
- Once you have run this command, the IP address of your computer will be reset and a new one will be assigned to you. Doing so will fix the default gateway issue in Windows 10.
We hope that you’ve successfully fixed the Default Gateway is not Available error in your Windows 10 PC. We are pretty sure that at least one of the fixed mentioned above has worked for you and you’re not facing the default gateway error on your computer. In case you liked this article, then make sure to share it on social media. If you have any doubts regarding any of the solutions, feel free to ask any queries in the comments section below.